Sunday, August 31, 2008

Windows Vista Sucks? NOT!

I'm so absurdly tired of hearing the words that I'm ready to tear my ears off. I'm so tired of reading them I'm ready to pour acid in my eyes.

Windows Vista Sucks.

Sick. Sick sick sick sick sick. People who've never even used the damn thing badmouth it. People who've never even seen it badmouth it. Tech pundits slammed it from day one because they wanted to do one thing...

Drive blog readership.

That's it. That's the secret, folks. Somebody wants to fan the flames so that they can get readers to visit their blog and look at their ads. It's 100% commercial.

Let me explain what real world experience is like...

February 2007 - I purchase a brand new, dirt cheap computer. $500. Dual-core Pentium 4 at 3GHz. I immediately upgraded it to 1.5GB of RAM. It had Vista Home Basic installed. Just as quickly as the RAM was upgraded, I installed the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate. I ran audio production, Internet utilities, World of Warcraft, some older games like TIE Fighter in DOSBox, and other junk.

There has never once been a compatibility issue with anything I use.

March 2007 - Sammi gets her new computer. Identical model to mine. She upgrades to 1.5GB of RAM as well, and moves up to Vista Home Premium to gain the advantages of Aero. She has found only one piece of software doesn't function, that is OpenCanvas. She runs WoW, Halos 1 and 2, Internet stuff, more games, and watching some vids.

Be mindful, that both of us were required to remove gigabytes worth of crapware that the OEM felt obligated to foist on us. Norton 360 of Suck AND McAfail were installed. They were instantly removed in favor of AVG Free for Sam and Avast! AV for me.

Some annoyance called BigFix was installed, chomping up 30% of system resources. We nuked it in favor of the superior error-fixing features BUILT IN to Vista.

Oh yeah... You'll never hear that in any of the whine articles. Windows Vista WILL FIX ITSELF.

Read it again.

FIX ITSELF.

Let it sink in.

FIX ITSELF.

Let's see XP, or Mac OS X (which I also like) do that. So, real world experience isn't enough... hmmmmmmm. Knowing that it can fix itself... Convinced yet? No? Read on.

Poor performance is a whine I hear quite often. Our housemate owns a 1.8 or something GHz box. She ran Vista Home Premium on it for months. World of Warcraft ran excellently.

Next, I own a 1.2GHz Dell Latitude D600. 768MB of RAM. Not great at all. Vista Home Premium runs like a dream. A damn sight better than XP which is hang-crazy. No matter how many times I've installed XP, it hangs too much. It sucks. WoW runs smooth as glass on this notebook. Only issue is sound. The makers of the audio chipset, the SigmaTel C-Major, are too damn lazy to update their driver.

That's another problem. Lazy developers. That's always a Windows problem. 3rd party developers suck and are always too lazy to update their products. Cheap and shitty if you ask me.

Okay... now, finally. This thread is for people who agree with me. I ask this because I'm simply tired of hearing people whine. Call me crazy, I'd like to discuss this rather nice piece of technology with other persons who can appreciate quality software.

Thanks.

No comments: